XS650 Chopper

xs650 chopper bobber home built DIY

As far as XS650 Choppers go, this one easily ranks in my top 10 - scratch that, top 5 that I’ve ever seen. The bike is seamless front front to back and designed perfectly - from the proportions to the choices in parts. Ever notice how it’s the really simple parts that can make a bike really stand out on it’s own? The pipes on this XS are a great example of that. Nothing crazy or fancy, but perfectly designed for this bike. Well done. Another great example that proves that anyone who thinks that cool chops can only be designed with american or british iron is full of shit.

xs650 chopper bobber home built DIYxs650 chopper bobber home built DIYxs650 chopper bobber home built DIYxs650 chopper bobber home built DIYxs650 chopper bobber home built DIYxs650 chopper bobber home built DIYxs650 chopper bobber home built DIYxs650 chopper bobber home built DIYxs650 chopper bobber home built DIYxs650 chopper bobber home built DIYxs650 chopper bobber home built DIYxs650 chopper bobber home built DIYxs650 chopper bobber home built DIYxs650 chopper bobber home built DIYxs650 chopper bobber home built DIY

27 Responses to “XS650 Chopper”

1. alteredbeast says:

what’s the tank on this, do you know?

2. Grail says:

looks like a wassell peanut.

3. kim scholer says:

Have a stock XS, seen loads of bobbers. You’re right, this one is exceptional. Flawless and easily ahead of the rest.

4. flatblack says:

Frame?

5. nic says:

saw this bike at “beatersville” here in louisville. the guy has a truck that matches. both are super well thought out and put together.

6. kim scholer says:

Note that the ‘YAMAHA’ is missing from the engine cover….

7. franco says:

he it looks great! i have a xs 650,would love to do something like that!
    have specs on frame?

8. Corusco says:

Frame looks to be a homebuilt or custom job - the tabs on the axle plates look like the stock tabs off of the swingarm. I’d say 3-4″ stretch and a couple of inches taken off the overall height in the fork and rear axle height.

9. chandler says:

no stretch, no rake. stock frame home brew hardtailed using swingarm weld/cut method. hap jones tanks are filler to the side. wassell are center filler. both made in englad.

his air filters look like fence post caps with hacksaw slashes through them. not a bad idea if it runs good.

10. xs650 chopper says:

This is definitely a great xs650. I like how he used the stock axle amounts. I’d like to get him to post pictures of the build before and after style on my blog xs650chopper.com

11. Nate says:

I think there was a whole build thread of this on Jockey Journal before they deleted jap bikes

12. philbs says:

Does anyone happen to have the build details, or even know who the owner is - I went looking for the build thread on the JJ and they do look to have been deleted. This is the nicest XS I’ve ever seen and I’d love to see more detail on the buildup.

I wish I had more info, I went looking for the same thread, but couldn’t find it.

14. xs650 chopper says:

There was a long while documented build thread of this xs650 on Jockey Journal however, it got deleted which was very disappointing. I do not know the guy’s name but I know he sells electrical schematics for choppers on eBay. I asked him if he would repost his detailed build on my site but he didn’t seem interested. Too bad, it was a really great resource.

15. philbs says:

Damn that is a real shame. If anyone else has any clues then by all means let us know!

16. Hugh says:

He goes by “the-rodster” on the H.A.M.B.

Here is a quick bit about the bike, super sweet build, and was the reason I started to build mine… Stock wheelbase, low, and really cool…

17. jeff morgan says:

AWESOME BIKE DUDE! LOVE THE TANK!

18. Skylar says:

Late to the party, but why’d they delete japanese bikes from jalopyjournal?

We all can’t afford/find a Norton, Trump, BSA or H-D to fuck with.

Some of those old 70’s and 80’s metrics are plentiful and well-made. My Honda turns alot of heads and my XS650 is going to do the same, on a shoestring budget.

Fuck elitists, of every stripe.

19. smiley says:

Yeah you sure did a nice job on this bike! I have a stock 73 xs 650 and I’d like to do something like this! I’m thinking about going with an electronic egnition instead of the points? I was hopeing you can give me some insite? It would be apreciated!

20. Kyle Smythe says:

Hey nice build there! That is a VERY fun motor in that bike!

21. angeland says:

Hi everyone.

I know it’s an old post, but I just found a pdf file that was extracted from the original thread from the Jockey Journal.

If someone is interested I put it online, here you are:

Enjoy…

22. Aztim says:

Anyone….Anyone, know what tank that is or any spec sheets deerly deperted from jockey??

Looks like a standard wassell peanut tank.

24. angeland says:

The file is not longer available… I will put it in another place.
    Here:
    or Here:

25. Chingy says:

Where can I get a DIY xs650 kit to build??? Do they even come in kit form? Srry for the silly question just a newb to scene N very keen to get building on one of these bad boys

26. stephen says:

you can buy the hardtail kit off of ebay for about 15o just cut the old one off and weld the new one on

27. rutro says:

I know this is an old post. I’ve got the itch to try a xs650 build and have been researching for a while. Wanted to know if anyone downloaded this file that “angeland” posted a year ago. Or if someone can point me in the right direction to find this article.